Implementation checklists are a list of practical steps you can take to support the implementation of an evidence-based practice in your setting.
This checklist focuses on implementing explicit instruction.
- Broken down the piece of curriculum/syllabus content down into smaller tasks for my students? (this is known as “chunking”)
- Removed any parts of information that are not relevant, necessary or at the correct level of challenge for my students?
- created a learning objective to establish what students will need to know and produce by the end of the lesson?
- communicated this learning goal to my students, and explained how it links to their previous work?
- sequenced the instructional tasks so that they build on each other so that students can see their improvement?
- allocated time in the lesson for students to practise using the new information before moving onto the next section of work?
- designed worked examples designed to guide students through their first interaction with the work?
- provided students with scaffolds that increase in their complexity and decrease in their modelling of skills as student proficiency grows?
- planned some opportunities for feedback, including giving my students time to action the feedback, before moving onto the next chunk of work?
Keywords: practice implementation, explicit teaching